History of Vietnam Sociological Association (VSA)
Originally known as “Hội Xã hội học Việt Nam” in Vietnamese, the Vietnam Sociological Association was founded in 2003. The eighteen-member Vietnam Sociological Association Campaign Committee started operating under the Minister of Science and Technology’s regulations, which marked the beginning of the association’s formation process. The Vietnam Sociological Association was formally founded by the legislation of the Minister of Home Affairs of Vietnam after operating for more than three years.
The mission of the Vietnam Sociological Association
The Vietnam Sociological Association is a non-profit association of Vietnamese social science institutions and individuals who have been doing academic research, imparting sociology education, and using sociology abroad. The mission of the VSA is to unify members, defend members’ lawful rights and interests, and aid one another in completing tasks that contribute to the growth and development of Vietnam’s sociology.
Activities of VSA
- The VSA comprises organizations and people working in Vietnam on sociological research and instruction.
- Vietnamese organizations and individuals researching, teaching, training, disseminating, and using sociology throughout the nation make up the voluntary Vietnam Sociological Association.
- To protect its members’ rights and interests to aid one another in socioeconomic and development activities, VSA brings together its members.
- Through publishing, social studies, and research, VSA seeks to further sociological study.
In 2006, Hanoi hosted the First Congress of Vietnamese Sociology.
Congress chose the 27 Executive Committee members representing branches around the nation.
Membership of VSA
Regular Participants of VSA
Legal entities and individuals from Vietnam who work in sociology and are involved in sociology education, research, management, training, dissemination, and application are welcome to join VSA.
Honorary or associate members of VSA
Vietnamese individuals and organizations that have aided the association’s expansion but are not qualified to join as official members may be allowed to join as associate members.
National collaborations of VSA
On a national level, the Vietnam Sociological Society organized the Workshop “Role of Society” Sociology in the Social Development of our Country Today” on May 26, 2012, in cooperation with the Social Society Branch of the University of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vietnam National University, Hanoi.
VSA is a member of the International Sociological Association
- The Vice President of the International Sociological Society, Prof. Dr. Michael Bourvoy, visited and collaborated with the association’s leaders in Hanoi in 2007.
- In 2010, Prof. Manshurov, the head of the Sociological Society of the Russian Federation, visited Vietnam at the invitation of VSA.
- The consortium of Japanese sociological societies is another contact for the group.
- The Polish Institute of Philosophy and Sociology’s researchers have contacted VSA.
- The Vietnam Sociological Association invited renowned Belgian sociologist Prof. Francoise Houtart to the inaugural Congress.
- VSA now works with nations including the USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, and Korea.
Vietnam Sociological Association Branches
- Da Nang and Central Branch, Academy of Politics Region III
- Branch of Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Administration
- Union College of Science, Hue University.
- Association of the Faculty of Sociology, Academy of Journalism and Propaganda
- Branch of Institute of Family and Gender (now Institute of Family and Gender Studies), Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences.
- Union College Branch
- Association of Central Agencies
- Branch of Binh Duong University.
- Branch of the Institute for Sustainable Development in the South (now the Institute of Social Sciences in the South)
- Association of the Faculty of Sociology, Hanoi University of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Association of the Institute of Sociology, Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences.
Recent activities of VSA
On April 8, 2017, the Vietnam Sociological Association held its National Congress of Delegates for term III (2017–2022). Congress chose an Executive Committee of 27 people who represented branches around the nation.
The workshop on “Social Responsibility of Citizens in Response and Overcoming Covid-19 Pandemic in Our Country: Practices and Lessons” was organised by VSA in January 2022.
Relevant Links of VSA