History of the Spanish Federation of Sociology (FES)
The Spanish Federation of Sociology started in 1979 as the successor to the Federation of Sociology Associations of the Spanish State by the collaboration of Andalusian, Aragonese, Basque, Castilian, Catalan, and Valencian associations. Spanish sociologists’ national organization, Federacion Espanola de Sociologia, also called FES, made its debut in Madrid and started functioning.
Mission of FES
- FES encourages cooperation and relationships between public and private entities that are connected to the federated members’ goals.
- FES actively promotes sociology as a field of study among the Spanish-speaking population.
- FES actively facilitates the growth and promotion of the regional and local sociological institutions that are connected to FES.
- FES serves as a facilitator, a medium of communication, and a coordinator for the members’ activities.
- FES strives to support academic growth by participating in sociology education, research, dissemination, teaching, and application for students.
- FES seeks to serve as a representative of the sociological community in Spain.
- As stated in the FES constitution, the organization aims to achieve its collective objectives.
Functions of FES
- The primary function of FES is to host academic and scientific conferences, seminars, and discussion forums.
- The organization’s FES conference attracts around 1,500 participants and is the biggest sociological gathering.
- More than 40 specializations of the FES development research committees cover almost all elements of social life and sociological subdisciplines.
- The Spanish Journal of Sociology is one of the academic journals FES produces that actively promotes sociology.
- FES uses its website and social research to spread sociological information to the broader population.
- The FES represents sociology as a field in both national and international organizations.
International collaborations of the Spanish Federation of Sociology
The FES works closely with sociological associations from other nations and international organizations in social sciences. It is a member of the European Sociological Association and the International Sociological Association. It belongs to the Southern European Societies Regional Network.
Spanish Federation of Sociology Membership
More than 3,000 sociologists and sociology enthusiasts are members of the FES, the scientific organization of Spanish sociology. After an application, the FES administrative division approves individual and collective membership.
The FES’s administrative body comprises the federal assembly, executive committee, and council. The apex and sovereign body of the Federation are the Federal Assembly of the FES.
Spanish Federation of Sociology Journals/Publications
Journal of Sociology of Education/Revista de Sociologia de la Educacion (RASE)
Three issues of The Journal of Sociology of Education are released each year, and it began publishing in electronic form in 2008. It is affiliated with the Sociology Committee of Education, and members of FES contribute to this periodical. It is a multilingual publication that welcomes Portuguese, Spanish, and English submissions. The linguistic diversity of the journal shows the worldwide reach of the research articles published in RASE. The interrelationship between education and society is the subject of theoretical and empirical research published in the Journal of Sociology of Education.
Sociological Research Collection
This magazine disseminates sociology-related research findings, and articles, about contemporary social issues. The Collection started publishing in 2020, is part of high-quality sociological publications of FES, and raises the prominence and transmission of Spanish sociology.
Spanish Journal of Sociology
The Spanish Journal of Sociology, usually known as RES, was launched in 2001 as the official journal of FES. FES publishes scientific articles using a method of double-blind peer review. The scope of the RES encompasses scholastic issues of crucial significance in the sociological study of the contemporary social structures and institutions that comprise social reality. The RES emphasizes comparative analyses of issues affecting the societies of Spanish provinces, South American nations, and southern European nations.
Spanish Congress of Sociology
1st: First FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Our sociology today
- Location: Zaragoza
- Year: 1981
2nd: Second FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Conflict and Social Structure
- International University Menéndez Pelayo
- Location: Santander
- Year: 1984
3rd: Third FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Sociology facing the challenges of the XXI century
- Location: San Sebastian
- Year: 1989
4th: Fourth FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Sociology between two worlds
- Location: Madrid
- Year: 1992
5th: Fifth FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Horizons from uncertainty
- Location: University of Granada
- Year: 1995
6th: Sixth FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Sociology and society
- Host: Faculty of Sociology University of La Coruña
- Location: La Coruña
- Year: 1998
7th: Seventh FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Convergences and divergences in the global society
- Host: Faculty of Social Sciences, Salamanca
- Location: Salamanca
- Year: 2001
8th: Eighth FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Global transformations: trust and risk.
- Host: University of Alicante
- Location: Alicante
- Year: 2004
9th: Ninth FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Power, culture, and civilization
- Host: Faculty of Geography and History, University of Barcelona
- Location: Barcelona
- Year: 2007
10th: Tenth FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Thirty years of society, thirty years of sociology
- Host: Public University of Navarra
- Location: Pamplona
- Year: 2010
11th: Eleventh FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Crisis and Change: proposals from Sociology
- Host: Faculty of CC. Politics and Sociology, Complutense University of Madrid
- Location: Madrid
- Year: 2013
12th: Twelfth FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Great social transformations, new challenges for Labor sociology
- Host: Gijon City of Culture
- Location: Gijon
- Year: 2016
13th: Thirteenth FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: Societies at the crossroads, commitments of sociology.
- Host: Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Valencia
- Location: Valencia
- Year: 2019
14th: Fourteenth FES Spanish Congress of Sociology
- Theme: “Inequalities, Borders, and Resilience. Sociology for global crises”.
- Location: Murcia
- Year: 2022
FES Social Media